Valentines From The Teacher

 I still remember the year I taught fourth grade.

There was a lot to learn, as this was also my first year teaching. I spent most of the year in a daze, constantly thinking about creating lesson plans, homework assignments, grading assessments and of course, managing behavior issues. Every year teaching is challenging, but the first year is definitely a trial by fire! 🔥

By the time February rolled around, I was beginning to feel a little bit better, like I was just starting to figure it all out. I'd formed solid relationships with my students and their families. I knew where I wanted my lessons to go, was staying on top of grading, and I was even starting to hit my stride with managing behaviors (at least somewhat).


Printable, instantly-available valentines would have been a lifesaver
for overwhelmed first-year-teacher me.

But on the evening before Valentine's Day that year, I realized that not only did I not have any Valentines ready for my own two elementary-aged kids, I also had nothing ready for my students. I was in a panic!

So what did I do? I got in the car after making dinner that evening, drove to the nearest drugstore and bought three boxes of the cheapest classroom valentines I could find. After getting them home and pulling them all apart (that's right--even the storebought ones need to be separated!) I put names on them all and collapsed, exhausted, about two hours after my regular bedtime. Whew!



The valentines can be cut apart with a knife and metal ruler for precision,
or with a paper cutter like those often found in the teacher workroom.
Or, write cut lines lightly in pencil and use scissors! 



Teachers need the flexibility to be able to print something in either color
OR black and white, depending on their needs and available resources.


I created this set of printable classroom valentines for the teacher (and mom) I was that night.

First and foremost, I wanted cute designs without a lot of hassle. I wish I could have found something like these that evening, because I could have printed them out at home on my color printer, or at school in black and white. I would never have needed to get in the car at all!



These valentines look good printed in black ink on colorful paper.
Stickers could be added to personalize and add a bit of flair.


I could have saved money and time with these. A box (of 16 cards) similar to the ones I bought that night costs about $3.00 at Walmart or Target nowadays. This downloadable file lets each teacher-purchaser print out as many as are needed for a full class set, in color or black and white (or both!), year after year. For only $3.49.

Was your first year teaching as chaotic as mine? Have you ever found yourself scrambling the night before, getting something ready for your classroom? I would be honored to hear your stories also.

💗 Happy Valentine's Day! 💗

Download your own set of Valentine Cards From The Teacher here:

Teachers Pay Teachers ■ Classful ■ Made by Teachers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Factoring With a Graphing Calculator

Self-Grading Quizzes in Google Forms